Saturday, August 27, 2011

Who Am I And Why Am I Blogging About This Topic

I am a Georgia father of 2 daughters and 2 step sons.  At present my kids ages range from 8 years old to 21 years old.  In fact tomorrow my daughter will turn 16 years old.  A true milestone and one that I am excited about spending with her. 

The reason for the blog is to talk about the struggles I am having with my eight year old's visitation rights.  The mother of the eight year old is a different women then the 16 year old.   I have never had any issues with the 16 year olds visitation rights.  In fact, her mother and I have never even drawn up any legal documents.  I have supported her and everything has been smooth throughout the past 16 years.  I am very grateful for that.

The eight year old's visitation has been a completely different story.  It has been  a struggle since day one.  Her mother and I have been separated almost her entire life and so visitation has been happening for the past 7 years.  We do have a legal divorce decree that accounts for visitation within the decree. 

At this point in time the visitation has ceased all together - I have not seen my 8 year old for 3 months and only been able to talk to her a few times on the phone over this time period.  I can feel the relationship dissolving between her and I and at this point I am left with not a whole lot of options. 

Because of the ongoing abuse of the visitation scheduling about 2 years ago I filed a contempt of decree charge against her mother based on denial of visitation over the Christmas holiday of 2009.  This is still in the court systems and one of the reasons I have decided to share my experience and insight to what is really going on with this epidemic in our state and our nation. 

It is my hope that one day the laws can be changed to provide more assistance to the father's that go through this tragedy and have no where to turn.  They are good father's, paying child support and wanting to have a loving relationship with their kids and being denied this fundamental right as a parent.  It is a tragedy and something needs to be done about it. 

This blog will be a diary of sorts about what I have done, what is going on and hopefully what a father can expect if he decides to take the same path as I chose and hopefully get better results.  My hope is that enough of us father's will stand up and be heard to bring about some changes so that the future generations of loving father's don't continue to have to be abused.  The mother's are taken care of by the court systems with the deadbeat dad child support courts.  Why aren't the father's that pay support and want to be in the child's life given the same consideration. 

I welcome your comments and assistance in helping to bring about this change. 



No comments:

Post a Comment